Any tips for having speech changes with new aligners?

I recently started wearing aligners and I’ve noticed some changes in my speech, especially a slight lisp. It’s been a bit frustrating as I have a lot of meetings at work. Does anyone have tips on how to adapt more quickly or minimize speech issues when wearing aligners?

I went through the same thing when I first got my aligners. The good news is that it usually gets better as you adjust to them. What helped me was practicing speaking. I read books aloud and went through tongue twisters to get used to the aligners. Also, try to wear them as much as possible, even if it feels weird to talk at first; the more you speak with them, the quicker you’ll adapt.

I understand how you feel. A lisp or slight speech impediment initially is pretty common. Besides the great advice from u/TalkItOut about practicing speaking, I found that staying hydrated helped reduce the amount of saliva, which sometimes exaggerates the lisp. Keep a water bottle handy and sip throughout the day, it really helps.

It’s all part of the process. I also faced similar issues and found that warming up my vocal cords before important meetings helped a lot. Just like singers do before a performance, try some basic vocal exercises. This can help your speech organs get used to the new shape of your mouth with the aligners in. Keep practicing, and it’ll get better!

When I started with my aligners, my speech was a bit off too. Something that worked for me was to slow down my speaking rate slightly. This gave me more control over my articulation until I got used to the aligners. It’s a small adjustment, but it made a significant difference in reducing my lisp and making my speech clearer.

It’s definitely a common issue, so you’re not alone! One trick that helped me was to slightly adjust the position of my tongue when speaking. It sounds tricky, but with a little practice, you can find a position that minimizes the lisp. Also, recording yourself speaking can be helpful. You might notice certain words or sounds that are more problematic, and you can practice those specifically.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and tips! I’m relieved to hear this is normal and there are ways to improve. I’ll start practicing reading aloud and doing the vocal exercises. Hopefully, I’ll see some improvements soon. I really appreciate all the support!