Contraindication for aligners

When is aligner treatment not an option? I didn’t have a consultation from my dentist for 3 years and I’m afraid I have new cavities that I’m not aware of. Can I still have aligners even if I didn’t have any cleaning or restorations done on me for years?

If you have gum disease or receding gums, then you need to have that treated first before having your aligners. You also need to have your cavities restored. Get a consultation from your dental professional. Having aligners while having concerns about your oral health might further complicate the problem.

Hey Johnny, you definitely need to have a dentist to have a look at your oral cavity. In case you have gum disease, you need to have that treated first before having braces or aligners.

Dental check-ups are supposed to be twice a year. It’s important to have regular check-ups because you might have gum disease or others that need to be treated immediately. The first step of having perfect straightened teeth is to have underlying issues treated first before having aligners or braces,

Hi Johnny! I recommend having a dental check-up prior to having your aligners. You might have an oral disease that would worsen when not treated. It would be safer than regretting in the future if problems will arise.

It’s safer if you have your regular check-up from your dentist first before deciding on any treatment on your teeth. Some people with gum disease or bone disease on their jaw won’t be advised to have their aligners if the disease isn’t treated yet.

A friend of mine told me about her experience when she had her aligners without having a check-up from her dentist for over 2 years. Before her aligners, she already experienced bleeding on her gums but not that often. But after her aligners, it always bleeds when she brushes. So I guess from her experience it is best to go to your dential professional first.

I feel anxious whenever I think about going to the dentist. That’s why I always find a reason not to go there. I believe I have gum disease because my gums keep on bleeding when I brush. :frowning: I hope it isn’t too serious.

I already booked an appointment. Thank you all for your advice. I don’t want to have aligners without having my check-up first. It might cause problems in the future.

Just think that about your health. It’s better to get treated right away than wait for the time when it is already too late.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: Hope it isn’t too serious. Gingivitis can likely be treated with a few appointments and with your cooperation. It will usually be treated when you have great oral hygiene practices - doing the proper toothbrushing technique, flossing, and gargling with mouthwash. Vit. C is also a supplement usually prescribed by dentists to help strengthen your gums and the soft tissues in your mouth.

Good luck! While waiting for your appointment make sure to floss regularly and brush your teeth. My dentist advised me to floss first before brushing. She said it’s important to remove food particles in between the teeth so that fluoride from your toothpaste can reach those spaces and help prevent caries.

Your friend might have had gingivitis which is an inflammation of the gum. Since it wasn’t treated first, her aligners aggravated her gum’s inflammation.

I agree. It might be gingivitis. Flossing is a great way to prevent this from happening. Food in between our teeth can’t be reached by the bristles of toothbrush so flossing should always be done. Others think that it should only be done when you feel something stuck on your teeth.

I also do this. Floss first before brushing. I don’t use mouthwash that much but flossing is always in my routine.

So glad that someone relate with me. When I tell people that I floss first before I brush, they think it’s weird. All of them brush first, then floss. Doing that, they remove the fluoride that was already placed in between the teeth. The fluoride should stay there to help strengthen the teeth. My dentist said that the sides of the teeth are the most susceptible to cavities because they can’t be reached well by bristles. Having fluoride on that part would help them be resistant to cavities…

So sorry if my explanation is too confusing haha but I hope everyone gets the idea.