Do Aligners Cause Bad Breath?

I’ve just started my aligner treatment, and one thing I didn’t expect is this weird issue with bad breath. I’m super paranoid about it now, especially when I’m talking to people up close. Is this a common problem with aligners, or am I doing something wrong with my routine? I brush and clean my trays, but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

Oh, I’m so glad you brought this up because I had the exact same problem when I started! I was so freaked out about my breath that I started brushing my teeth like five times a day. My orthodontist told me that it’s pretty normal and mostly has to do with saliva getting trapped under the trays, which creates the perfect environment for bacteria. I found that using mouthwash in addition to brushing really helps, and I also rinse my aligners themselves to keep them fresh.

I totally went through this phase when I got my aligners. I think a lot of people don’t realize how important it is to keep the trays clean, not just your teeth. I started using a retainer cleaning solution once a day, and it made a world of difference for my breath. Also, I make sure to brush my tongue every time I brush my teeth because that’s where a lot of bad breath bacteria live. It’s not just the aligners’ fault, but they definitely make the situation worse if you’re not super careful.

I’ve had aligners for almost a year now, and bad breath was one of the most annoying things at first. I tried everything—brushing, flossing, mouthwash, you name it. What finally worked for me was adding a portable water flosser to my routine. I take it with me to work and use it after lunch. It’s a bit of a hassle, but it’s worth it to avoid that gross taste in your mouth halfway through the day. And yeah, rinsing the aligners themselves throughout the day helps too.

I was in the same boat when I first started, and I didn’t know how to fix it. My dentist suggested drinking more water during the day, and that really helped. I guess the water flushes out some of the bacteria that get trapped under the aligners. I also stopped drinking coffee with the aligners in, which was a bummer, but it made a huge difference in keeping my breath fresh. Plus, coffee breath and aligners are a terrible combo.