Do Aligners Really Hurt as Much as People Say?

I’ve been reading up on aligners, and one thing that keeps coming up is the pain. Is it really that bad? I’m all for getting my teeth straightened, but I’m not looking forward to constant discomfort. Is it worse than braces?

I just started using aligners last month, and honestly, the first few days were rough. It wasn’t unbearable, but there was definitely a lot of pressure. I guess it makes sense because the aligners are literally moving your teeth. After the first week, though, it got way better. Now I only feel a little discomfort when I switch to a new set.

The pain is definitely noticeable when you first start or get a new tray. I wouldn’t call it excruciating, but it’s more like a dull ache or soreness. What helped me was taking ibuprofen for the first couple of days with a new tray. After that, it’s smooth sailing. Plus, it’s so worth it to avoid the metal brackets of braces.

I’ve had braces and aligners, and for me, braces were way worse. The aligners are a bit uncomfortable when you change them, but nothing like the tightening appointments with braces. And the fact that you can take them out to eat or give your mouth a little break makes a big difference.

I’m in my third month with aligners, and I have to agree—it’s not as much pain as it is pressure. The key is to wear them consistently. I had a couple of days where I didn’t wear them for the full 22 hours, and my teeth felt extra sore when I put them back in. So, definitely keep them in as much as you can to avoid that.

You know what, though? The pain is weirdly satisfying because you know it’s working. When I feel that pressure, I remind myself that my teeth are actually moving and getting straighter. And like everyone said, after the first couple of days with a new tray, it’s barely noticeable.

For me, the worst part wasn’t the pain, but the fact that I would sometimes wake up with sore gums from the trays rubbing against them. I ended up filing down the edges of a couple of trays with a nail file, which helped greatly. Does anyone else experience that?

Yes! I thought it was just me. I did the same thing—used a nail file to smooth out some of the rough spots. My orthodontist told me that’s normal, and it happens more with certain trays. Just be gentle if you’re filing them down!

I didn’t have any major pain, but what I did notice was that my teeth felt really loose after a couple of months. It freaked me out, but my orthodontist said that’s actually a good sign because it means the teeth are shifting. Anyone else have that?

Oh yeah, that’s totally normal. I had the same feeling, and my orthodontist assured me it’s part of the process. It’s weird, though, feeling like your teeth are wiggling. But no pain, no gain, right? It goes away after the trays settle in.