Effects of aligners on teeth

Are clear aligners bad for your teeth? Some articles say that having aligners make you more prone to cavities and gum recession. Is this true? Having an ‘invisible’ teeth straightener is tempting but after reading the issue with cavities and gum disease, I’m having second thoughts if I should go for it.

You’ll be prone to cavities and gum recession when you don’t maintain good oral hygiene.

1 Like

Failing to take care of your aligners and your oral hygiene could contribute to the development of cavities. The aligner treatment itself will not cause the cavities. It is solely in your hands. Just make sure that you have a thorough check-up and have your cavities filled, if you have any, before having aligners.

1 Like

Like other treatments, aligners have some unwanted possible reactions and side effects. Problems with speech may occur. You may also experience dry mouth and and halitosis (bad breath) because aligners obstruct the saliva from washing over your mouth. There are also higher chances for you to develop more cavities since you have lack of saliva, it can’t wash off leftover debris from eating. You can prevent bad breath, dryness of your mouth and cavities by brushing your teeth consistently and drinking lots of water.

1 Like

You’ll only develop cavities and gum disease if you have bad oral hygiene. Flossing is the most important part of maintaining a healthy oral cavity.

1 Like

Based on all replies, I guess it really depends on oral hygiene, not the aligners itself.

And btw, how do you say that flossing is the most important part? I thought brushing is already enough. I usually just floss when I feel like something’s wedged between my teeth and gums.

1 Like

Aligners worn over an extended period can affect gum health resulting in periodontitis and gingivitis. One study done on aligners reported that aligners may lead to the weakening of tooth roots which may cause slow resorption of the dental roots over some time. -news-medical.net

It’s important because it removes debris between your teeth that can’t be removed by your toothbrush. Even ultra soft or thin bristles of some brushes can’t reach those areas. I didn’t floss until I was in college. And when I started doing it, I couldn’t go a day without doing it. My mouth just feels dirty if I don’t floss.

You’ll only develop cavities, gum recession and bleeding gums when wearing aligners if you don’t maintain good oral health. Floss and brush regularly.

So how long should aligners be worn? Is 2 years or 3 years bad for the gum health?