Smoking/Vaping with aligners. Anyone else?

Hi everyone, I’m Sam. I’m 3 weeks in my journey of " a better smile". I choose SDC as they were cheaper. I have a friend who is an orthodontist. He does my checkups so I can save off from there.
I’m also a smoker. I used to smoke almost a pack of cigarettes every day. Sometimes, with friends, I do vape and sheesha too.
From the advice by my friend and the official SDC site, they highly discourage to smoke while wearing aligners. No problem. I can take them off every time I light one up.
If anyone is a smoker then you’ll know that the urge to smoke can come anytime. If I take off the aligners and then wear after it. The odor of tobacco will remain and get into the aligners.
I can’t keep this up anymore. I need to develop a routine
Does any fellow smoker have some advice for me?

I’m not a smoker but what about taking your aligner out for a smoke, and then chewing a piece of gum for a few minutes before putting it back in? That would probably help with the smell!

All health issues aside, it’s most definitely a good idea to remove your aligners before smoking. We’d recommend thoroughly brushing your teeth, flossing and even using a suitable mouthwash after smoking before putting your aligners back. Bit of extra effort but you don’t want to risk any problems that could be caused by the smoke residue in your mouth.

Hi sam :wave:

Smoking while wearing your aligners will lead to discoloration and can stain your teeth as well. Also, if any tobacco gets into the tray, it can lead to tooth decay or gum disease.

It would be a good solution for you to smoke during meal times and then brush your teeth and rinse your aligners also.

Remember aligners must be worn for certain period of time to be effective!

I do not have my aligner yet but I am looking at it as an opportunity to cut out my smoking habit! Wish me luck!

I am a smoker too and I’m thinking of having aligners soon. I’ve been thinking about this too. I guess brushing, flossing and using mouthwash after smoking should be enough. I don’t want my aligners smelling like tobacco so we should have great oral hygiene practices. I’m also thinking this is an opportunity to slowly cut down my smoking.

Stop smoking. :grinning: I’m sorry if it doesn’t sound helpful but that’s the best advice that I can give you.

Smoking is discouraged while wearing aligners because it can cause discoloration or staining. Remove them when you smoke and rinse your mouth before putting it back on. If you have your brush with you I think brushing your teeth would be better to remove the smell on your mouth before you use your aligners again.

You can still smoke as long as you remove your aligners before doing so.

In your journey of a “better smile,” you could also add quitting smoking so your oral health will be better. :wink:

Before I even have my aligners, I am already trying to stop my habit of smoking. A year ago, I have at least 2 packs of cigarettes each day. I had some progress since then. I only smoke 2 to 3 sticks per day. I hope I can stop it completely when I already have my aligners. My dentist won’t be happy when she sees the tartar on my teeth. :sweat_smile:

Whether you’re vaping, smoking cigarettes, or using other forms of tobacco, none of these is a good one with your aligner. When tobacco is involved, it may cause quick discoloration to the clear tray. The ideal situation is stopping your habit of smoking. But if you can’t for now, make sure to bring your brush when you go out so you can brush your teeth after smoking. That’s the only way to prevent discoloration and bad odor on your aligners and also on your teeth.

I read somewhere that others don’t remove their aligners while smoking but after a few smoking sessions, the trays turn yellowish. I don’t think you would want that.

I’m proud to say I’m on my way to stopping smoking. I make sure I only have to cigarettes per day.

Good for you! It’s too much of a hassle when you need to remove your aligners when you smoke so it would be better to just stop the habit.

Tobacco can also increase the risk of developing gum disease.