Traveling with Aligners

I’m planning a month-long trip across several countries and am a bit worried about managing my aligner treatment while on the move. Has anyone here traveled extensively with aligners? How do you keep up with the cleaning routine and wearing schedule amidst the chaos of travel? I’d appreciate any tips or tricks that could help make this easier.

traveling with aligners definitely requires some planning. I took a three-week trip last year and my biggest lifesaver was bringing along a small cleaning kit. This included a travel-sized toothbrush, toothpaste, and a small bottle of aligner cleaner. Also, I made sure to always have a bottle of water with me to rinse my mouth (and aligners if needed) after eating when I couldn’t brush my teeth immediately. It’s all about sticking to your routine as much as possible.

I understand your concern. One thing that worked for me was setting alarms on my phone for my aligner routine, especially when traveling across different time zones. This helped me remember when to put them back in and when to clean them, ensuring I didn’t fall off my treatment schedule. Try to keep your meals around the same times you normally eat to avoid having to remove your aligners too frequently.

When I traveled with my aligners, I found that using pre-packaged aligner wipes was very handy for those times when I couldn’t do a full clean. They’re great for a quick refresh of the aligners until you can get to a proper brushing. Also, make sure you always carry a spare set of aligners and your previous set just in case you lose one or need to revert for some reason.

Traveling with aligners can be smooth with a little preparation. I recommend keeping your aligners in whenever possible during flights or long travel periods as it’s easy to forget to put them back in. Also, hydrate constantly—it helps with the dry mouth you might get from wearing aligners and from flying. If you’re going to places where the water quality might be questionable, stick to bottled water for rinsing your aligners.

It’s great that you’re planning ahead, u/AlignerAdventures! Always have a backup plan for your aligners. This includes not only carrying an extra set but also having a copy of your dental prescription or treatment plan saved digitally. This could be invaluable if you need to visit a dentist or orthodontist while abroad. And remember, the more consistent you are with wearing your aligners, the less you’ll have to worry about extending the treatment time.

Thank you all for such useful tips! I feel a lot more prepared now. The idea of setting alarms and carrying a cleaning kit especially resonates with me. I’ll make sure to pack everything tonight and keep my routine as normal as possible. Can’t wait to start my journey with these new strategies in place!

Have an amazing trip and enjoy every bit of your adventure, aligners and all!

It sounds like you’re all set. Keep those aligners clean and enjoy your trip!