Will I need to wear a retainer after treatment to prevent my teeth from moving again?

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

I would love to know if it is necessary to wear a retainer after my treatment with aligners?

Wearing a retainer seems a little uncomfortable for me, but I am afraid that my teeth may move if I do not use them.

Thanks!

I was told that I would need to wear a retainer after any kind of teeth straightening - it would not matter if I had braces or an aligner. I would have to wear a retainer after either treatment.

I am wearing clear aligners right now and I had the same question. My orthodontist told me that I need to wear retainers because without it my teeth might move. Retainers would prevent the shifting of your teeth after your aligners. Pain and discomfort might me felt on the first few days she said. Pain after 5 days should be reported to your orthodontist right away.

Yes, you do need to wear retainer to stop it from going back to its former crooked position. It might be uncomfortable at first but you’ll get used to it.

Every person I know who had braces or aligners had their retainers after. There’s no exception. So I would answer yes, you definitely need to have retainers.

Hello Maria :grinning:

I had my braces before and I wore my retainers for a loooong time. It wasn’t painful but only a little uncomfortable for a few days. I suggest you to follow whatever the dental professional told you to do. It will all be worth it. I have a great smile today!

I’ll be finishing my treatment and soon. I’ve asked the provider and they recommended that I should have a retainer after. It would help retain the position of your teeth.

I am currently using a nighttime aligner. If my treatment finishes, do you have an idea if I can also have a retainer that I could only use at night?

Typically, you wear your first set full time, then after a few months you may gradually reduce how long you wear them until you only wear them at night.

Retainers are basically like your aligners too. It won’t move your teeth so it’s more comfortable compared to your aligners that move your teeth.

Most orthodontists say that if you want to keep your teeth straight after treatment, you would have to wear your retainer for pretty much forever since your teeth are always moving. In the first year, you have to wear it for almost the whole day. But after that, you can only wear it at night. Maybe it depends on the movement that was done to your teeth. The more movement, the longer you have to wear your retainers after.

Retainers also feel like aligners so you wouldn’t feel much difference. Its goal is to “retain” your teeth in their new position so it won’t move your teeth which makes it easier to adjust to.