Are aligners painful?

Are aligners painful?

My dentist told me I need to have either aligners or braces because of my slightly crooked teeth. I really want to have a perfect set of teeth but I’m worried it might be too painful for me. I’ve been told that I have a low pain tolerance so I’m having second thoughts.

The beginning of each new aligner can be uncomfortable for a few days. Others would describe it as pressure, not necessarily pain. This is normal and it is a sign that the aligners are working. It means your teeth are moving gradually. The discomfort usually goes away after a few days.

Aligners work by moving your teeth using mild constant force. Moving teeth would cause a temporary discomfort for the first days of wearing each set. If you can’t tolerate the pain, you can buy over-the-counter pain medications. Just be sure you are not exceeding the recommended dosage.

Any adjustment or movement to your teeth will come with some pain and discomfort. However, the discomfort is temporary. Pain relievers like Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Tylenol can help. Follow the recommended dosage given by the pharmacist. If the pain doesn’t go away, tell your provider right away.

Aligners do hurt but it is less painful than traditional braces. The pain fades after the teeth adjust after a few days. The edges of the aligners can also be irritating to your gums at first. Pain can also be caused by sharp or rough edges. This can be remedied by telling your provider so they can smoothen it out.

For some people, it might be considered painful. I guess it depends on the pain tolerance of patients. Pressure is used in moving teeth so there would be an amount of discomfort especially on the first days on each set of aligners. Every start of each set will have a significant amount of discomfort so you need to prepared for that. Others who can’t tolerate the pain take over-the-counter medications.

While there is pressure on your teeth to align them, many patients are not very concerned by this. It is also entirely possible that you may feel a little discomfort and soreness, especially when you have a new set of aligners. You can alleviate the soreness by taking pain medications such as those medications used for headaches.

If you really want to have your crooked teeth be straightened, you need to sacrifice your comfort because having aligners will be painful in your first weeks of having them. Just think that it is only temporary and it will be worth it in the end.

Aligners use gentle, controlled force to move teeth into their planned position. This continuous force causes pressure which may be considered as pain for others. This discomfort should be gone within a few days.

I won’t really call it painful. Though I really have high pain tolerance.

My friend told me that for her, aligners weren’t painful. I get comfort knowing that she told me that. But she might only have a high tolerance for pain. :thinking:

I’ll be honest, it will hurt for the first few days on wearing a new set. Sometimes the pain only comes when you try to remove your aligners. Your jaw will take time to adjust so you might need painkillers on those first days.

People perceive pain on different levels. What may be painful for one person might just be uncomfortable for another person. I know a few who can’t take the pain so they take a pain reliever. Others just feel pain in the gum area when they have a new set which can be relieved at times by trimming in that area. But it would be better if the provider or the dentist will be the one to do the trimming because you might damage the trays permanently.

I do think I have high pain tolerance, but when it comes to pain on my tooth it’s just a different kind of pain. You’ll have a hard time eating, which makes you grumpier. And if you eat, you can just eat soft food. So I don’t really like any toothache or discomfort.

My son was 15 when he had his aligners and he had a hard time adjusting. Having aligners added up to his attitude.

From the pain rate of 0 to 10, 10 being the highest, I can say I experienced a rate of 7. It becomes 8 or higher when I eat on those first days but I still didn’t take any medications.

On the course of my treatment, I also didn’t take any pain medication. I just suck it up and deal with the pain for a few days. :rofl:

You kinda get used to the pain after a while :sweat_smile: The only sad thing is you can’t eat food you like when your teeth are too painful.

Good for you for having a high pain tolerance. I had to take at most 2 per day for the pain. I kinda regretted having aligners because of the pain in my first week of wearing them.

Any type of orthodontic treatment is kinda painful. So whatever option you chose, there will always be pain.